FADE TO BLUE by Hank Scheer - Adult Fiction (18+) Thriller - I loved this guest post

Book Details:

Book Title: FADE TO BLUE by Hank Scheer
Category: Adult Fiction (18+), 288 pages
Genre: Thriller
Publisher: Top Reads Publishing
Release date: Mar 2023

Tour dates: Mar 14 to Apr 3, 2023
Content Rating: PG-13 for some bad language

"Fade to Blue kicks off with shocking twists and attention-grabbing characters. The ongoing discussions between cat and mouse are tense, especially as the lines between terrorists and anti-terrorists working undercover become blurred. The stakes are high but also personal—Marcel’s monologues, while not likely realistic, are a lot of fun. Filled with vivid characters and a fast moving plot, Scheer has written a winning page-turner." -BookLife, Editor's Pick

"Hank Scheer’s debut novel offers readers an engaging medical mystery, after which the plot becomes a swiftly paced thriller. Sarah is a capable and appealing protagonist, and a canny plot twist gives the narrative geopolitical heft and spurs interest in what might happen next." - Kirkus Reviews

"The secondary cast is vibrant and varied; their personalities are distinctive, and their conversations have a charming effect. Sarah’s combative exchanges with René, a French inspector whose penchant for sarcasm matches hers, add particular color. And the well-described settings further flesh out and ground the otherwise dizzying, swift-moving story. Working toward an open-ended but triumphant conclusion, Fade to Blue is an exciting thriller in which a scientist tries to stay alive after creating a brain-destroying drug that others want." - Foreword Clarion Reviews

"The strong characters, fast-paced action, and ethical dilemmas create thought-provoking reading suitable for book club discussion, contrasting nicely with other standout medical thriller genre reads." - Midwest Book Review

Book Description:

Will Dr. Brenalen's unauthorized experiment lead to a cure for Alzheimer's, or will it be used for bioterrorism?

Biotech researcher Sarah Brenalen is frustrated by her boss’s dismissal of her controversial theory, so she secretly injects lab mice with experimental Alzheimer’s drugs of her own design. Sarah is stunned when one of her experiments goes horribly wrong. But Marcel and his international cabal are intrigued. Sarah's brain-destroying T-3 formulation could be just what they need.

Fade to Blue is a high-tech, fast-paced, cat-and-mouse game played for keeps. What Marcel didn't count on is that two can play this game.
BUY THE BOOK:
add to goodreads

Guest Post  
Making Fade to Blue plausible

I decided to write a thriller about a pharmacologist who accidentally creates a brain-destroying drug. Great. But there was a problem: I knew nothing about the brain. So, I wrote to five universities that specialize in brain research and requested permission to visit.

To my delight, I received an invitation from the UC Irvine School of Medicine and drove to southern California from my home in the Bay Area. Brian Cummings, a department vice-chair with a PhD in neuroscience, was kind enough to sit down with me and explain how a brain-destroying drug could potentially be created. He also gave me a tour of their labs, on which I based MEREIN, the Alzheimer’s research facility in Fade to Blue.

Shortly after returning home from Irvine, Dr. Bernardo Rudy, director of the Rudy Lab at New York University Neuroscience Institute, invited me to visit. I immediately booked a flight to New York.

I arrived at Dr. Rudy’s office, and he introduced me to one of his students. The young man led me into a room, offered me a seat, and started a PowerPoint presentation featuring complex chemical formulas and equations. I didn’t understand a word he was saying but wanted to be polite, so I let him continue. He went on and on. I finally decided to intervene.

“Excuse me,” I said. “I have no idea what you’re talking about. Did Dr. Rudy tell you why I’m here?”

He gave me a puzzled look. “Aren’t you a neuroscientist from California?”

“You’re half right,” I replied. “I am from California, but I work in a steel mill. I’m writing a thriller about a brain-destroying drug and was hoping you could give me some help with the medical stuff.”

He laughed. “Sure. That sounds like fun.”


Meet the Author:

Hank Scheer's writing journey began during a work break when a coworker said, "Hey, let's write a short story." They were working for a steel mill in Pittsburg, California, so brainstorming ideas became a fun way to pass the time.

At one point the following week, after the manufacturing process caused a computer to crash, Hank had his idea: an evil scientist creates a drug that destroys a person's brain.

Now it was a simple matter of plotting the story and writing it. Fade to Blue is the result of three trips to Paris, France, and long weekends spent driving around the San Francisco Bay area.

It doesn't involve steelmaking, but the science is just as real and the potential for trouble exponentially more terrifying.

Hank is now retired and lives in Martinez, California. He enjoys writing and recording music, world travel, biking, downhill skiing, and supporting other working people fighting for a better world.

connect with the author: 

Enter the Giveaway:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Beginning of Arrogance A Paladin’s Journey Book One by Bryan Cole - Fantasy - Paladins are nothing but trouble

Just a Fika: Coffee, Connection, and a Matchmaking Ghost Grandmother by Beck Erixson - Speculative Contemporary Romance/Women’s Fiction with Romance - Family. They’re always meddling in your love life… Even after they’re dead. ***Guest Post***

An Interview with the Author of Noble Magic: Joni Parker